The coronavirus outbreak has imposed all new restrictions, mentalities, and routines onto our daily lives. Although this situation is unprecedented and unsettling, now is the time to make the most of the situation and focus on you and your family’s wellbeing.
If you are struggling to keep your health and sanity while you’re at home with your family, don’t panic! We are here to help. We, at Dental On Clarke, pride ourselves on being a family-oriented practice, so we care about your entire family’s health during this time.
Aside from practising good dental hygiene throughout your coronavirus isolation, we recommend different ways to keep your family active and in good spirits.
We have put together some easy tips to stay healthy and entertained at home.
Tips to stay healthy and active
It can be so easy to get stuck in a never-ending lazy day routine during coronavirus isolation, but this is not a healthy practice. If you are finding yourself feeling more run down, try out some of these tips to stay accountable.
- Keep a routine, complete with morning alarms, daily physical activity, and fresh air.
- Try some at-home workout videos, there are so many you can watch on YouTube.
- Even if you’re working from home, try to go outside every once and a while to exercise and stay energised.
- Try not to snack at home, instead cook full meals at usual mealtimes. Decay bacteria thrive on frequent snacks.
- Drink lots of water, keep hydrated.
How can kids stay healthy?
It is simple for adults to set a routine, have a workout schedule, and fitness goals. However, kids think a little bit differently. The best way to keep your kids healthy is to keep them occupied while they’re at home, to limit their intake of junk food, and to promote healthier eating habits.
- Have your kids get fresh air end exercise once a day (with members of their household), play football, frisbees, go for bike rides etc.
- Have them set goals to achieve and practise daily, this could be reading a novel, doing a handstand, etc.
- Make healthy snacks like cheese and crackers, veggie sticks, fruit salad, home-made popsicles etc.
- Think up activity ideas that promote creativity like building models, making art, writing etc.
- If your family hasn’t mastered the use of dental floss already, that might be because you’ve been short on time. With less time pressure lately, now is the perfect time to start!
- Limit, or avoid, activities that have a high risk of dental trauma. Our ability to manage dental accidents is limited until distancing restrictions are eased.
How to stay entertained at home
If you are still looking for ideas on how to keep occupied at home, here are some fun things you could do with your family during coronavirus isolation:
- Cook or bake together (mind the sugar content!)
- Build a giant puzzle
- Have family game night
- Follow a Bob Ross painting tutorial
- Try a fitness challenge
- Work on small-scale home renos like painting the walls
- Start growing a garden
- Have group video chats with family and friends
- Watch documentaries
The more creative you get, the opportunities are endless! We hope you all are able to stay safe at home with your families and keep a healthy mindset throughout these stressful times. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your oral health or our practice, don’t hesitate to contact us.